Monday, June 22, 2009

Our Expanding Family

May 17, 2008 - Saturday
expanding family
Well to make a long story short, well that is acutally not possible so I will tell the whole story and cut it off when possible.
We were waiting for another placement and got several calls for newborn babies that fell through and then we started considering taking a teenage mom and her baby because they are hard to find homes for and we felt like maybe we could make a difference. My licensing worker with my agency was telling us about this age for months because there was so many in shelters. The idea is that they are in shelters right now and if they age out they are pretty much on their own for the rest of their lives but if we fostered them, then they would have a family forever and we would be able to teach them independent living skills, how to get a job, apply for college, help out with the baby, tell them to dump their looser boyfriend (just kidding), etc etc. so we felt like this would be great and there were two girls in shelters at the current time so I told my licensing worker with my agency to find out background info and get back with me and then we can think it over and see if we can see ourselves taking this age. Well this past Monday I called her to see what she find out and low and behold, ironically they had been placed in another home. My licensing worker couldn't believe that she had finally got me to consider doing this and then there wasn't any to take. So I said "well that's okay because I wasn't sure and God made up my mind for me so he must have another plan for us" Then she looked at her list and discovered that she had a 2 1/2 year old girl Rose and 9 mo old boy Roman that needed an adoptive home. They are bio bro and sis and were currently in other homes separated but both families were not interested in adopting. I told her we would be interested and again give us some background to see if something clicks with us. So because two other families were interested, we had to get on the ball and decide. We went to meet them that day and fell and love, when the connection is there, it is there. We have them this weekend and then they will start transitioning them to get with us for good by the end of the month. Rose is a cakewalk compared to Alice and Roman is pretty independent so all is well so far. So needless to say, I am amazed that I have time to type this while FOUR kids are playing behind me. The kids are one step behind with court proceedings than Anderson and Alice are but it looks like we will probably be adopting 4 kids at once. Yes that is our limit and then at least one bio kid for us. What scares me is that if the bio moms have more babies, whomever has their siblings have first pick to take the infant which means down the line, we may end up with more of their kids, because I am sure they won't be responsible enough to use birth control so we will just have to see what life brings us. Be careful what you wish for, that is all I have to say. Anyway, wanted to let you all know what is going on in our life and I will be sure to post pictures soon. Love ya, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment